“What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.”

- Crowfoot

Monday, September 28, 2009

It's lonely being a blogger.

The title of this blog pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. Julie Powell brought it home for me the other day... or rather Amy Adams as Julie Powell brought it home for me the other day. Or maybe it should be: Julie Powell, as portrayed by Amy Adams, in the words of Nora Ephron - oh I give up! Let me just put it this way.

Last week I was watching director Nora Ephron's new movie Julie&Julia. Julie Powell (Adams) sets up a blog chronicling her adventures as she cooks her way through renown chef Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Part way through the film, she becomes disheartened because she feels like no one is paying attention to her blog. That all her work and her writing is simply falling into some great, big void never to be seen or heard of again.

Sitting in the theatre, as much as it was annoying to here the woman complain - again - I sat there with a certain level of empathy in my heart.

For I know what it is like - feeling like you are writing to no one.

I do have two followers - and I thank them for following me, but isn't it always the case that the grass is always greener on the other side?

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading it B! lol I know what you mean though, sometimes I don't think there's any point in me writing one because no one comments or anythin and I never know if people are reading it. I think though that some people read them but don't follow and the more you post the more it shows up when you go onto the 'next blog' link at the top. I've just really started writing mine for myself too though, its good to sometimes just sort of write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you - thing is maybe people aren't leaving comments and aren't officially following but you never know how might be reading at that moment. I sometimes wonder about trying to advertise my blog but then sometimes think it's quite nice to just have people stumble across it. Keep up the good work - people are reading.
    Julie stuck to it and look where she got ☺

    ReplyDelete