“What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.”

- Crowfoot

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

First Placement Update!

Since my last post, a LOT has happened. Considering my last post was in May, I would be worried if it hadn't. I have been to England, worked four months and returned; started and finished a placement with a visiting nursing agency in the Durham Region; Christmas is coming and I am organizing next semester's placement.

When placement preferences were submitted, I had requested Moose Factory, Ontario. When this didn't work out I was instead placed here:



Fort Albany, ON

Fort Albany is a Cree First Nation situated (as you can plainly see) on James Bay, or as I like to refer to it the 'foot of the old woman,' that is Hudson Bay. The only way to get in or out of this community is by plane (year round) or by winter road (only while the water has frozen sufficiently to support trucks) - trains to not travel that far north. I will be there from the beginning of January to the beginning of April. Average temperatures at this point on the 52nd parallel at this time of year average -23c. 

As a nursing student, for a $500 temporary deposit, I am guaranteed housing and (theoretical) warmth, with a roof and four walls, all of which are full of insulation that is not contaminated by black mold. This is in direct contrast to many houses on this reserve.

You may have heard about the State of Emergency that was declared by Attawapiskat First Nation at the end of October (and was completely and utterly ignored for a grand total of three weeks). Since this declaration, two other Ontario reserves have joined Attawapiskat's declaration, these being Kashechewan and Fort Albany First Nations. Directly related to the lack of adequate housing on these reserves, many residents are forced to live in tents or plywood shacks with makeshift stoves made out of metal barrels. Many of the more 'substantial' dwellings (and this term is used very loosely), are contaminated with black mold due to roof leaks etc and are either condemned buildings or are in need of drastic renovations.

Like I said, I am lucky enough to have housing provided for whilst I am passing through, so no need to worry! However many are not so lucky. I will keep you all informed as to my progress in planning, booking trains/flights etc as well as my experiences whilst I am living with members of Fort Albany First Nation in such a Northern community!

Talk to you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment