“What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.”

- Crowfoot

Monday, August 10, 2009

Small Gestures

Every once in a while, I get the urge to sort out something almost insignificant in my immensely cluttered life. Recently this has meant purging my Facebook friends' list, reorganizing my bookshelf, getting rid of clothing that I haven't worn in years, and just today cleaning out the bookmarks page on my internet and sorting them into groups.

This was quite an interesting activity. Among other things, I found this video that I discovered at the beginning of this past school year.

Another interesting link I stumbled upon was to and article by Real Simple with simple ideas to brighten someone else's day at little expense to your own. Often these are referred to as small gestures.

I have long been a fan of these small gestures. My tenth grade religion teacher, Mrs. Holmes, introduced me to the first official small gesture I used on a regular basis. In Canada, Tim Horton's is a staple and she said that she would surprise the person in the drive through line up behind her by paying for their order.

Holding doors for those coming through the door behind you, smiling at perfect strangers you pass in the mall, making a funny little quip to the others in the elevator (leaving work with a bunch of others once, someone commented, "Quitting time, I guess," so I turned and said, "Damn straight!" The entire elevator got a chuckle of this little exchange) or giving a homeless person a granola bar or something, putting the change from your coffee in the charity jar.

There is this beggar in my university town who is always at the same corner. So one day when my friend and I were going to get lunch at the Subway across the street, so I asked him what kind he wanted. He was really surprised by this offer - I don't think it happens too often. So my friend and I split the cost and it cost us maybe $3 each.

This is another website that I think is adorable. The song, Say What You Will is by an artist from Near-Toronto, Ontario and the whole premise is fantastic - just letting people know you are thinking of them. Not to mention it is to raise awareness of the Walmart Walk for Miracles in support of children's hospitals!

I am not writing this to make myself look good. I am writing this because I am hoping to give someone else ideas to integrate small gestures of kindness in their own day. The website above has more ideas if you want them!

Pay it forward!

1 comment:

  1. That video of the prank call was hilarious! LOL.

    The small gestures thing is good. I always try to remember to put my change in the charity tin if there's one next to the counter in a shop. I always remember this homless guy when i was younger going through the bins in the shopping centre we always go to. He was known all through the city, everyone had seen him, and one day when i was walking past he pulled out a half eaten burger and started to eat it. I couldn't face the fact that he had to do that so i walked over and gave him some money to buy his dinner. Everytime i saw him after that he would smile at me. He never asked for anything off anyone. They tell you not to give to homeless people now and they move them out of the centre of the city because a lot of people pretend that they're homeless to get money off people. The things people will do for a couple quid!

    ReplyDelete