“What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.”

- Crowfoot

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Very happy now

And even happier tomorrow!

My parents went up to the trailer this evening and my middle sister was already up there. So I went with my littlest (11-year-old) sister to see The Ugly Truth. Overall it was a very cleverly thought out premise, with just enough convention remaining to be a thoroughly enjoyable film.

After parking the car and as we were walking into the theatre, I could not believe how exciting I was becoming. I was going to see this movie and then, within 12 hours will be going to see Julia and Julia with my friend Allen and then heading into Toronto for the 5th birthday of a friend's son.

This little boy is amazing - braver than anyone I know. He was born with his bowel outside his body and as a result had to have a liver/bowel transplant before he was 2; the 5th child to receive such a transplant in Canada and only the 3rd to survive it. He was so fragile as an infant that simply human contact would cause him to bleed internally, so his parents could only hold him using a pillow. Then his they were told that he needed a kidney transplant because of the first transplant and that he needed dialysis until a kidney became available. Then he was diagnosed with Post-Transplant Lymphoma. This is a leukemia type cancer that can develop after receiving a transplant because of the trauma to the body in combination with the cocktail of immunosuppressant anti-rejection drugs one must take afterwards. So then, on top of receiving dialysis, this little boy had to endure cancer treatment too. Now, even though he is turning 5, he is the size of an 18-month old.

So this is one special birthday party. My sisters and I bought him a few Dora the Explorer games as presents. He absolutely loves Dora. It is really cute - it is like she is his girlfriend.

Happy Birthday Sebastien and may you have many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment